16.7.09

The Already

So many things can go right and wrong in a lifetime that it's difficult to remember which ones are important. There's always the chance that something unexpected can go awry.
But for short periods at a time, it's as if you've forgotten everything and somehow that makes it all worth while.
People don't live in the past forever. If they know what's good for them they try and stay away from the future. But the truth is, none of us truly know where we are going and how we will get there and exactly what will be waiting for us on the other side.

I have my hopes. My dreams. And the free set of pilot wings everyone gets after their birth. But I only have one real sense of security. And it's funny that that security is a part of the now. Maybe I'm more comfortable knowing that no matter what happens, if I keep the now secure, than whenever that impending future comes for me, that I'll be following the same philosophy.
And judging by how much has changed since I've started keeping track. Is that truly impossible?

You'd think that by finally knowing what has changed, it would make it easier to see and plan for the future. But what I've found is that in a world where the outcome of a process changes by the mere observation of it... I found that nothing is ever really set in stone.

And for a long time that has been my true philosophy. That yeah sure, things might change. And yeah sure, I might not have the same life in a few years that I have now. But the matter of fact is that fate isn't some grand game. We aren't puppets to a will already predetermined. To me, I've made fate out to be a set of rules that life follows. The reason that paper will burn over fire is because of fate. And as long as I can understand how things work, I can write my own future.
It can be whatever I want it to be.

-Taylor J. Pridgen

No comments:

Post a Comment